Wednesday, March 3, 2010

Save Money when you Bring a Plate

Each week my Mother's Group takes turns in providing coffee and cake for morning tea.  In the nicer weather we have been meeting in our local parks (we live in a fantastic area for parks and playgrounds).  Mostly the mums bring a divine cake from the bakery, they are so yummy and look amazing.  But as I am trying to be good and save money, I try to bake something.  Comparatively, the cost of buying a cake or slice is much more expensive.  However, when baking the cost of time needs to be considered.  I have a lot on my plate, but if I plan ahead I can usually manage to whip up a slice or some cookies.

If a small cake or slice costs about $12 to feed 6 people, then I estimate I am saving at least $8, by baking something at home.

Below is the Brownies Recipe that I have been making since I was about 12 years old.  I got it from the wife of our American Baptist Pastor who was in Australia for a few years.

Brownies
1/2 cup cocoa
2/3 cup oil (I use olive oil, but vegetable oil is fine)
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 1/4 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
vanila

Cook 180 degrees for 15-20 minutes (depending on your oven)  I check it after 15 minutes, just gently jab a knife into the slice and if the blade comes out clean, then it is ready.

I love this recipe because it tastes great before and after cooking.  I always make sure I leave extra in the bowl, so that I can enjoy licking it while the slice is cooking.  My estimation is that this recipe costs about $4 to make and you can cut it into around 30 good sized slices.  That is enough for my Mum's group, as well as to feed my ravenous husband when he arrives home from work.

Actually I'll just make a little admission here.  I love to bake.  The main reason is that I LOVE cake mixture, cookie mixture...almost anything raw.  I even went to Mrs Fields Cookies once, and asked them if they could just sell me their mixture.

1 comment:

  1. Yum... The other benefit of taking home baked goods is you look like some kind of domestic goddess! :)

    ReplyDelete