Sunday, November 29, 2009

Day 1 of $21 challenge

After a stocktake of my kitchen, I have discovered an abundance of cooking and baking opportunities for the family meals this week, and I am excited.  I am making chilli con carne for dinner this evening, had all the ingredients except for the chilli powder, so had to spend some of my week's money on that.  I also had to get ham for my husband's lunches, and some bananas to try to feed my toddler for lunches - I found myself spending half of the allowed money today.  It will be a challenge, but I think I can do it.

I only have half a loaf of bread that will last tomorrow, but luckily I have a breadmaker, and will make loaves for the rest of the week.  I have all the required ingredients in my pantry.  I should make bread more often, as it saves about $2.50 a loaf, that is another way I can save that I had actually forgotten about.  It is very nice bread too, I make it with carraway seeds, just like the yummy stuff we buy at the supermarket.

Running out of time, bubs is calling me.

Tips for the day:
- Make your own bread if you can
- Make do with the food you already have in your pantry, you would be surprised what you can make for a nice meal.

No comments:

Post a Comment